Sign up for our Newsletter
The world has become more aware of the issue of ‘conflict diamonds’ in recent years, thanks in part to the Leonardo di Caprio film Blood Diamonds, which highlighted how the illegal sale of rough diamonds in African war zones was being used to finance civil war and perpetuate terrible violence.
Thankfully in real life, as well as in the film, there was a happy ending. Since the founding of the Kimberley Process Certification Scheme in 2002, the illegal diamond trade has been all but eradicated and now over 99% of the world’s diamond supply is conflict free. Whilst conflict diamonds do still exist, the Kimberley Process provides a way for reputable diamond retailers to only buy and sell conflict free diamonds.
All diamonds sold by Quality Diamonds have been obtained from suppliers working within the Kimberley Process scheme. We do not buy diamonds from any source which cannot prove the rough stone has been cut by a participant of the Kimberley Process.
Feel Good Diamonds
We all know diamonds are brilliant at looking beautiful and putting smiles on the faces of the people we love. But did you also know they help to educate children, provide healthcare, and fight HIV/AIDs?
By enabling more diamonds to be sold legally, the UN-mandated Kimberley Process has resulted in greater revenues for the governments of developing countries, which in turn has improved conditions for millions of people. According to diamondfacts.org, an estimated 65% of the world's diamonds, worth approximately $8.4 billion a year, is sourced in African countries.
Here are just some of the ways diamonds have helped to make the world a better place:
- An estimated 5 million people have access to appropriate healthcare globally thanks to revenues from diamonds.
- Diamond revenues enable every child in Botswana to receive free education up to the age of 13.
- Approximately one million people are employed by the diamond industry in India.
- Thousands of African students benefit from education initiatives in diamond producing countries supported by the Diamond Empowerment Fund.
- The revenue from diamonds is instrumental in the fight against the HIV/AIDS pandemic.
Ethically Sourced Diamonds
Handmade in the UK
FREE Shipping Worldwide
60 Day Returns